Saturday, July 20, 1–9 pm
Sunday, July 21, 12–6 pm
Bloor Street, Toronto
Dufferin to Lansdowne
BIG on Bloor Festival, car-free Bloordale celebrates arts, culture, community & small business, on Bloor Street, Toronto, Dufferin to Lansdowne. We welcome everyone!
BIG on Bloor Festival 2012
2013 BIG on Bloor Festival
We welcomed 70,000 people last year with visitors saying, “The BIG on Bloor Festival was an exceptional experience with so much to see, do and really be engaged with.”
This year we are in full swing to surprise and delight you again with event to enjoy and participate in.
July 20/ 21, 2013 car-free Bloor St., Toronto, Dufferin to Lansdowne, celebrates arts, culture, community & small business with a unique community and city-building festival featuring hundreds of events, activities and exhibitions including:
• The BIG Market Place: More than 200 arts, crafts, vendors, and information tables. Featuring, new this year, “Vintage Village” between Margueretta and Brock south side selling retro vintage furnishing and clothes.
• Card-Yard: PULP and Open Streets, with Architecture for Humanity Toronto, create a destination at Bloor and Dufferin made from recycled materials and animated by design, music, art, and large and small-scale activities.
• Celebrate Here: An exciting mix of music, performance and dance on the main stage, outdoor patios and on the street. Samba Squad opens the festival with a street parade and performs in the tennis courts at 2:00pm. Main stage includes Andrew Cash, Alianaris, Rexdown, Wolara Drum and Dance, Space Chums, The Horables, Broulala, and Teresa Hart and many more
• Culture Works: Institutions, collectives and artists offer projects to see, touch, learn, and participate in. Time and Desire’s permission to play, Toronto Botanical Garden brings flowers, bees and plants, Bloordale BIA color Bloordale, Artist Veronica Abrenica “processes” the public, Artist Jet Melenico’s pigeons gather in Meeting Place as well as events by South Asian Women Centre, Toronto School of Art, The Ontario Science Center, and many others.
• Savour Bloor: In the stores, restaurants, patios, and the Bloordale Food Court.
• BIG Awards: Opening ceremonies on the Main Stage at 1141 Bloor Street, July 20, 2013, 1:00pm. Awards to outstanding citizens presented by BIG: Bloor Improvement Group and elected officials, Councilor Ana Bailão of Ward 18, Jonah Schein, Member of Provincial Parliament, Andrew Cash, Canadian, Member of Parliament.
• PlayFair: Games for children and adults. Dovercourt Baptist Church contributes to Play Fair with games and amusements for children and adults in the play grounds at Dufferin and Bloor and an ecumenical service at 10 am on Sunday, July 21. Everyone is welcome!
• The BIG Screen: Christie Pits Film Festival will be screening Shut Up and Play the Hits at the BIG on Bloor Festival, Saturday, July 20, at 9 pm, in the play grounds at Bloor and Dufferin.
The BIG On Bloor Festival an initiative of the Bloordale BIA, BIG: Bloor Improvement Group and the Bloordale community.
BIG on Bloor Festival 2013 is just days away. We look forward to seeing you in Bloordale and if you are at the festival with a camera we encourage you to upload your images to the Flicker site.
BIG Planning Meetings: Check back in fall for the 2014 list of Festival planning meetings.
WHEN: 2013 first Wed. of every month in from Mar 13, April 3, May 1, June 5, to July 3
WHERE: New Horizon Towers, 1140 Bloor Street, West (just west of the Dufferin Subway Station)
TIME: 7:00 pm
WHO: Everyone welcome!
Call Out To Volunteers:
Opportunities to participate, sign up on this website beginning mid-March. BIG meetings, all welcomed to find out more and get involved, help organize the festival – volunteers, table vendors, sponsors, performers, artists, local business and residents.
Quotes of Support
Culture is a vital way to build and sustain engaged, healthy communities which is why festivals like BIG on Bloor are so important. I hope you’ll join me in supporting BIG by coming to the BIG on Bloor Festival. I’m really looking forward to being there both as Davenport’s new Member of Parliament and as a musician performing in the festival.
Andrew Cash, MP
NDP Member of Parliament for Davenport
I believe cultural engagement is a vital way to improve neighbourhoods. BIG: Bloor Improvement Group is leading in this effort and this festival is an excellent, innovate and exciting approach. I enthusiastically encourage your support and participation.
Councillor for Ward 18
The Bloordale Business Improvement Association is excited and proud to again initiate and host the BIG On Bloor Festival in our neighbourhood. We appreciates that cultural events make important contributions to the atmosphere and economic viability of Bloor Street. The Bloordale BIA offers BIG and BIG events our full support and we encourage your support. Working together we can help create a vital community for everyone.
Bloordale Business Improvement Association, President
BIG on Bloor showcases excellent local businesses and promotes our vibrant neighbourhood. I’m thankful to the organizers and proud to support such a great initiative. I truly look forward to the festival this summer.
Jonah Schein, MPP
NDP Member for Davenport
The Bloorcourt Business Improvement Association supports BIG: Bloor Improvement Group and the BIG On Bloor Festival. We encourage your support to make BIG events big successes.
Bloorcourt Business Improvement Association, Chair
BIG: Bloor Improvement Group, is a coalition of community members working for the advancement of the economic, physical, cultural and social life of Bloor. The BIG On Bloor Festival is our community and city building event and a shared project – BIG encourages and thanks everyone for their participation and support.
BIG: Bloor Improvement Group, Co-Chair